Kamloops Arts Council
Annual Art Exposed Exhibition – Friday, March 3rd to Sunday, March 12th, 2023
PLEASE READ CAREFULLY BEFORE YOU MAKE SUBMISSION.
– Artists are invited to enter up to TWO ORIGINAL artworks, appropriately mounted or framed for exhibition, in either Established, Emerging, or Youth Artists category. Art may be in any medium, for example: painting, drawing, hand print-making, digital print-making, photography, fibre arts, ceramics, sculpture and mixed media.
– Members $25 first piece, $15 for second piece (youth first piece $10, and second piece $15)
– Non-members $35 first piece, $25 for second piece (youth first piece $15, and second piece $20)
– SIZE RESTRICTIONS – Width 4 feet or under including frame
Any artwork between 4 and 6 feet wide will be considered in an ‘over size’ category and will require an additional fee of $10 – No artwork over 6 feet wide is permitted. Sculptural pieces must not have a footprint over 4 feet by 4 feet or weigh over 50 pounds.
– VOLUNTEERING: Many hands make light work; this exhibition would not be possible without you! Participating artists are required to sign up for volunteer. Click HERE to sign up for volunteer.
Deadline: February 14th, 2023
SALES – All sales will be processed through KAC. A commission of 20% will be charged to KAC members, and 40% will be charged to non-members. Works not for sale must be marked NFS on the submission form. All work will remain on display until the end of the show. Visa and MC will be made available for buyers. All artwork for sale will be listed in our online shop on the KAC website. Cheques will be paid to the artists within 6 weeks following the closing of the show.
ARTWORK CRITERIA –
– Is it ORIGINAL? Artwork that is a direct copy of another artist’s work is not permitted.
– 2D artwork must be framed in a professional manner, unless it is not appropriate to do so. Pieces on canvas must be finished and dried. Framing is optional.
– A wire hanging system is required for 2D. D-rings with plastic wrapped hanging wired must be installed at the back of the piece. Pieces without hanging system will NOT be accepted.
– Artwork must have been completed in the past 18 months. Artwork that has been previously exhibited at the Old Courthouse Cultural Centre will NOT be accepted.
– Any artwork that requires difficult or delicate installation instructions(such as sculpture or stained glass) must be installed by the artist. If pieces require specific hardware, installation instructions, or a special display unit, they must accompany the piece. Sculpture should be mounted on a suitable base, if required. Jewellery: Beads or pendant pieces must be presented artistically. We have a limited number of plexi display cases which will be reserved for fragile or valuable items.
INTAKE/ARTWORK DROP OFF – Thursday, Feb. 16th to Sunday, Feb. 19th, and Tuesday, Feb. 21st
This will be done by appointment – Click HERE to book your drop off time.
IMPORTANT CRITERIA FOR ART DROP OFF:
1. All submissions are FINAL. Change of titles, prices, bio/statement are NOT ACCEPTED.
2. Artwork drop-off by appointment 15 min per person. Please be on time.
3. All artwork must meet KAC hanging standards – D-rings with plastic wrapped hanging wire securely attached to the back of the artwork. Art pieces without hanging WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.
4. All artwork must have an artist ID tag in a zip-lock attached with a pin to the wire at the back.
5. ID tag must be fully filled out – volunteer/staff will add the assigned number to each piece submitted (find this on the intake spreadsheet).
6. Artist must initial the intake spreadsheet, checking spelling and information is accurate (no changes allowed – only obvious name/spelling mistakes) CORRECTIONS – NOTE corrections on the spreadsheet then make a note on a post it – attach the post-it to the artwork place artwork in a separate location from the rest of the intake artwork. PLEASE PRINT CLEARLY AND BE SPECIFIC
7. Find your Title Card, Artist Biography and Artist Statement – place in ziplock baggie with corresponding artwork – volunteer will place artwork in one of the galleries.
* VOLUNTEERING: Many hands make light work; this exhibition would not be possible without you! Participating artists are required to sign up for volunteer. Click HERE to sign up for volunteer.
PAINTING & PREP – TBA
We will need to get the Main, Alcove and Vault Galleries patched and painted, as well as all of our wallboards and plinths (stands for displaying sculpture and 3D items)
OFFICE ADMIN/COMPUTER OR TELEPHONE – We will need helpers to make up the title cards, Artist Biographies, and statements. Make calls to volunteers, upload images onto our website… and the like. Most tasks are simple in nature, just time consuming.
INSTALLATION – Saturday, Feb. 25th to Wednesday, March 1st
Hanging artwork in any of our galleries and the upstairs courtroom. These are two-hour shifts working in groups of two.
OPENING RECEPTION – March 3rd, Times TBA
This will be open only to the participating artists and artists who have received awards as well as one or two friends or family members to come with them to accept their award.
RECEPTION / GALLERY SIT – Welcoming and counting visitors during the duration of the show.
STRIKE/ARTWORK PICK UP – March 14th – 18th. Signing out artists when they pick up art pieces. All unclaimed artwork will become the property of the Kamloops Arts Council.
Click HERE to sign up for volunteer.
Remember to check the tabs at the bottom of the sign-up sheet for all options.
Click HERE to see The difference between an artist statement and bio.
Note: If you do not see any emails from the KAC in your inbox, please check your junk folder.